Saturday, July 4, 2009

Episode Eleven: Turning Around the Ship Of State

Recovery Escapades:
A Newsletter Of 2nd Chance Life Across Cardiac County Line Road

Episode Eleven: Turning Around the Ship Of State

There ought to be 102 members in the US Senate. Not 100.

Know why?

'Cause the most populous state in America is not the state of California. Nor Texas or Florida. It's the oldest and most congressionally unrepresented great State of Inertia. That is where most Americans live. The most non voting voters live there, too.

Inertia is definitely not a State of Grace, but it ought to be our State of the Union. Call it if you will our foremost Metaphysical State. I live in this State of Inertia. As do you. Let us not lie to ourselves or each other about this, please.

The motto for this State of Mind is "Fix It But Without Involving Me Too Much". This motto I applied at first to getting ready for open heart surgery. Fix me up, get me to a State of Readiness but without me doing anything too different or too hard.

In the end I gave up on that approach as I took more personal responsibility to make beneficial lifestyle changes. It was not easy to pack up and migrate from the Great State of Inertia but I did.

What internal qualities did I draw upon to effect a radical lifestyle reversal? How did I make the hard changes that led to my dropping 114 pounds? Not to mention getting off two asthma meds, an acid reflux Rx, sleep apnea, high blood pressure meds and a severe anxiety Rx? And how did I make these changes after decades of sedentary lifestyle?

My secrets, my arsenal of strength I will reveal to you on another episode of Recovery Escapades. Stay tuned and join me later to find out. That episode will be titled something akin to "Vice Versus Vertue".

Yours Truly in Contradiction
From Across Cardiac County Line Road

James Sullivan

1 comment:

Tejasplants said...

Good point. Really an admirable effort you made in overcoming your own state of inertia!